23.4.08

Healing Confessions


Monday I mentioned the idea of dealing with trauma and that I would write more about it. While I was gathering my thoughts, I came across some interesting information that I feel pertains to this topic. Granted I would always recommend using hypnosis for helping heal trauma whether one is the victim or the tormentor. However, this may not always be an option for some. The following may be used in conjunction with hypnosis or talk therapies.

It is the idea of spilling your gut out onto paper (or cyberspace). By writing our deepest feelings, we may heal ourselves. Now granted for those who have issues maintaining privacy, did you know that you can have a private blog that is password protected? If someone hacks into it, it is a little different than someone happening across your journal. From my own past experience, the former has been really bad and it turned me off of writing my thoughts. But life has a way of changing for the better. So there are options out there for those who have privacy issues.

Not only am I speaking from experience, when it comes to healing through the written word, confession, emotion, etc., James Pennebaker, PhD, a professor of psychology at Southern Methodist University has done studies and research that back this up. And what were the benefits of really writing out emotion? Compared to a control group who suppressed issues, those who poured out there soul onto paper increased their immune responses including reducing recovery times and promoting general wellness. There was actually an increase in white blood cells.

So, when you feel overwhelmed by trauma (or even if you do not know what it is that is bothering you), try writing it down or typing it out and begin the healing process.

Sources:
WebMD.com
Opening Up: The Healing Power of Expressing Emotions by James Pennebaker, The Guilford Press; 1997.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home