20.2.08

This Great Chain of Being

As you may know (or if not, you will know now), I am working on a Masters in Transpersonal Psychology. I have decided on this path, not be become a total psychologist, but to have a better basis of experience with the idea that it will make me an even better practitioner of hypnosis. My study track is in consciousness studies, which relates completely to hypnosis and suggestion work.

In my travels, I occasionally come across some interesting ideas that are worth sharing. I have mentioned him before, but Ken Wilber has specific ideas about consciousness and evolution. In his book Up from Eden, New Edition: A Transpersonal View of Human Evolution, evolution occurs through consciousness. It is not just personal evolution, but what he believes has evolved humanity to this particular point in our history. He has, what is called, the Great Chain of Being. In it there are eight stages of being. Most of us are at his level five – Emotional Egoic. This means that our lives and everything within that concept have to do with our egos. All good, all bad, there it is. I will probably spend more time on these concepts, but not on this post.

Today, I though I would just show an interesting coincidence that is occurring in regards to consciousness. It is more personal, but I think it bears fruit in the universal consciousness. I have spent the last four months studying Wilber’s ideas. Then I get the call from a friend asking me if I was familiar with Eckert Toll. I was not at that time. His whole premise in A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose (Oprah's Book Club, Selection 61) seems to be about losing, getting rid, or perhaps moving past the ego. Once transcended, it would then stand to reason that we would move on to another level of consciousness, thus evolving.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home